The adventure started in 2017 and we've enjoyed it so much that we're back again!
What are the Subjective Chaos Kind of Awards?
It's awards given by a group of bloggers for SFF works in different categories. Well, kind of awards. We don't have the fancy ceremony, we don't have the speeches, but we do have the handing of a much coveted trophy: a handmade painted pebble.
It's chaotic because we have rules but one of the rules is that we can change the rules, even while the awarding is going on.
And finally it's subjective because we don't pretend to award to the best. Just the best according to us. On the other hand, we have excellent taste!
Who's in it?
This year we are welcoming new jurors while some old hands are coming back.
The awards will be chosen by:
- KJ, who is a South African book blogger specialising in all things speculative fiction with a particular love for science fiction. He can be found plodding away at the keyboard trying to make words make sense whenever inspiration, work and power blackouts allows. Occasionally he even posts the reviews. Worlds in Ink celebrates its 10th anniversary this year. he can be found on Twitter at @Crusaderofchaos.
- Adri, who is a semi-aquatic mammal currently living in the UK, where she divides her spare time between reading, interacting with dogs, and making resolutions about doing more baking. She is a co-editor at 3x Hugo nominated fanzine Nerds of a Feather, Flock Together, and can also be found on Twitter at @adrijjy.
- Jane, who is a book blogger and podcaster who has found herself living in the depths of South East London. She loves Science Fiction and Fantasy and blurred genres in-between.
- Sara, who is a blogger at The Fantasy Inn. Moroccan-born, French resident, she's a fan of kissy and stabby books. Ideally both at the same time.
And our returning jurors are:
- Matt aka Womble is a book tempter ahem blogger at Runalongtheshelves.net and is the sweet voice on your shoulder telling you that it’s ok to get a new book. Can also be found on twitter as @Runalongwomble for additional book tempting
- Kris blogs at Cloaked Creators and in various venues around the internet. They spends far too much time reading genre fiction and insist on telling people about them. They love trying everything, the weirder the better.
- Imyril has been reading for almost as long as she’s been walking (with fewer obvious bruises). She shares her FEELINGS and other opinions about fantasy, scifi and speculative fiction at There’s Always Room For One More.
- And me!
What's going on at the moment?
We are currently nominating the works that'll end up on our longlist for the first round of voting. There's already a lot of "Aaaaargh"-ing, a few "Tu quoque, fili" and some attempts at bribing. But the list so far is very exciting!
We will anounce the longlist at the end of January.
We're also this year voting in a brand new category for us: short fiction (which means I'll have to steal one extra pebble on the beach).
The first round of voting will determine finalists for the shortlist, and then we will vote in a second round to determine the winners.
We'll keep you posted and you can follow #SCKA on Twitter for our day-to-day banter and glimpses behind the scenes.
See you at the end of January for the longlist. And you'll see, it's a thing of beauty! (I have no idea how we'll manage to choose winners...)
"While we were reading" is an irregular feature about reading science-fiction and fantasy. Nothing fancy, come as you are.
It is also home to all the Subjective Chaos Kind of Awards announcements.
WHAT IS THE MIDDLE SHELF?
The middle shelf is a science-fiction and fantasy books reviewS blog, bringing you diverse and great stories .
ON THE MIDDLE SHELF
KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THE MIDDLE SHELF
PLEASE SUPPORT AUTHORS.
IF YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT.